Universidade de Caxias do Sul - UCS is a Brazilian higher education institution characterized as being an institution that belongs to the community. Its activities cover directly the Northeastern region of the state of Rio Grande do Sul, which is located in the southernmost part of the country. It is part of Fundação Universidade de Caxias do Sul, which is an affiliate member of "Consórcio das Universidades Comunitárias Gaúchas" - COMUNG (an association joining community higher education institutions in the state of Rio Grande do Sul); a member of "Associação Brasileira das Universidades Comunitárias" - ABRUC (an association joining community higher education institutions in Brazil) ; of the "Conselho de Reitores das Universidades Brasileiras" - CRUB (the Council of Presidents of Brazilian Universities); and to the "Fórum das Instituições de Ensino Superior Gaúchas" (Forum of Higher Education Institution in Rio Grande do Sul). Internationally, UCS is a member of the "Associação das Universidades de Língua Portuguesa" - AULP (Association of Portuguese-speaking Universities); the "Organização Universitária Interamericana" - OUI; and the "Red Latinoamericana de Cooperación Universitaria" - RLCU (Latin-American Network for University Cooperation), among others. Founded in 1967, Universidade de Caxias do Sul is the oldest university in the region. It was built upon a collective effort of the community and it is still run according to the commitment and engagement of different segments of society who believe in higher education as a source for social development. They are represented on the board of directors of the supporting Foundation by public authorities - from the city, state and federal level - and by entities representing civil society groups.
Mission and Guiding Principles
The mission and guiding principles that guide the action of Universidade de Caxias do Sul in its different fields of activity result from a broadly participatory process involving all the academic community beaconing the action plans of the institution for the next ten years, thus ensuring its own and unique identity.
To be essential to the sustainable development in terms of knowledge.
To produce, systematize and socialize knowledge with quality and relevance to sustainable development.
- Respect for People - People will always be valued and respected as individuals and citizens.
- Social Responsibility - The common asset will be the criterion guiding the actions of the University.
- Institutional Eligibility - UCS will seek a permanent qualification of its staff, structure; organizational processes as well programs and actions.
- Prevalence of Institutional Interest - The institutional interests should superimpose the individual ones, ensuring the coexistence of diversity.
- Innovation - The quest for scientific innovation, technological and cultural cooperation should guide the actions of the institution.
- Local and Global Inclusion - The University will seek a simultaneous participation in the local, regional, national and international plans.
- Democratic Management - The University will promote the democratic experience by seeking the participation of the academic community in the planning and management processes.
- Commitment to the Environment - The University should promote and take part in actions that contribute to sustainable development with the ultimate goal of preserving life.
- Autonomy - The University will preserve the necessary educational and scientific, administrative, disciplinary and financial and asset management autonomy to ensure the fulfillment of its mission.
- Sustainability - The University will seek economic, social and environmental sustainability through an efficient and effective management.