Established in 1793 with funds bequeathed by Colonel Ephraim Williams, the college is private, residential, and liberal arts, with graduate programs in the history of art and in development economics. The undergraduate enrollment is approximately 2,000 students.
The student-faculty ratio is 6:1.
Williams admits U.S. students without regard to their ability to pay. The college meets 100 per cent of every admitted student’s demonstrated financial need for four years. Just over half of all Williams students receive financial aid from the college.