BA (Hons) Creative Computing with Foundation Year
University of Portsmouth
Southsea, United Kingdom
4 - 5 years
GBP 9,250 / per year *
Earliest start date
* for UK/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students/EU residents | £17,000/year: international students
Our Creative Computing with Foundation Year degree course will help you fulfil your dream of doing something creative with computing, even if you don't meet the required grades for our Creative Computing degree course, don't know your speciality, or are a novice.
You’ll get a theoretical and practical introduction to creative computing by studying three unique modules. You’ll foster necessary study skills and develop programming experience to create artistic works, such as audio production and 3D graphic design in Photoshop.
By the end of this one-year course, you'll possess the knowledge and abilities to progress to degree level – either on BA/BSc (Hons) Creative Computing or a related course.
- Get a flexible grounding in creative computing to cement your interests, learning programming skills in diverse creative fields.
- Advance your learning by moving onto our entire Creative Computing degree course or a related degree once you complete this course
- Use innovative industry-standard equipment and facilities during your studies – some of which are only available at Portsmouth.
- Be taught by subject specialists from various creative technology areas, including music engineering, computer games programming and internet architecture.
After your foundation year
Once you’ve completed your foundation year, the topics and modules you go on to study will depend on the degree course you choose to take.
You can go on to the following courses:
- BA/BSc (Hons) Creative Computing
- BSc (Hons) Computer Animation and Visual Effects
- BSc (Hons) Computer Games Production
- BSc (Hons) Computer Games Technology
- BSc (Hons) Creative Media Technologies
- BSc (Hons) Music Technology
- BSc (Hons) Virtual and Augmented Reality
- BSc (Hons) Interactive Technologies
No matter what you plan to study or do after your foundation year, you'll graduate with fundamental design, technical, interpersonal, and management skills that will boost your educational and professional pursuits.
Areas you could work in include:
- Film/TV special effects and post-production
- Visual interface design
- Computer graphics design
- Video game development
- Music Production
- Multimedia systems analysis
- Mobile app development
- Web development
- Computer music/sound engineering
- Interface design
- Database management
You could work in a variety of design, development and administrative roles, including:
- Visual interface designer
- Computer graphics designer
- Video game developer
- Multimedia systems analyst
- Mobile app developer
- Web developer
- Sound engineer
- Interface designer
- Database manager
Ongoing careers support
Get experience while you study, with support to find part-time jobs, volunteering opportunities, and work experience. You can also venture into freelancing or set up and run your own business with help from the University Startup Team.
Towards the end of your degree and up to five years after graduation, you’ll receive one-to-one support from our Graduate Recruitment Consultancy to help you find your perfect role.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.