Bachelor of Science in Agribusiness Economics and Management University of Mauritius
The University of Mauritius (UoM) and the University of Arizona (UA) have partnered to offer an innovative dual degree program in Agribusiness Economics and Management.
The Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Agribusiness Economics and Management is an interdisciplinary program of studies that focuses on the management of agricultural businesses and enterprises. Learners will acquire the basic knowledge and skills to become a successful business manager and develop critical observation and analytical skills through contact with real-life businesses. The degree prepares learners using a solid foundation based on economic theory to address issues that agribusinesses face on a daily basis and help them to forecast the likely outcomes of market and government interactions in a turbulent and uncertain environment. Upon completion, students may graduate with a dual degree from both the University of Mauritius and the University of Arizona.
Minimum Requirements for Degree Award
Degree (Awarded by both UoM and UA).
For the degree award in BS in Agribusiness Economics and Management, the student must obtain at least 120 UoM credits including:
|Minimum Credits for UA modules||98|
|Minimum Credits for UA GenEd modules||24|
The general University of Mauritius Regulations pertaining to Exit Points would not be applicable to this program.
Through exposure to business economics, agribusiness supply chain management, financial planning, marketing principles, business law amongst others, learners can complete this degree in agribusiness economics and management with inputs from resource persons both from UoM and UA. This degree will help learners to study how to manage land, people, food, water and capital to meet the needs of a growing world population.
This program has been designed to enable learners to:
- Coordinate the production of food and fiber in agrifood value chains;
- Focus on critical management issues dealing with land, people, water, food, and capital;
- Use knowledge about agricultural processes and farm operations to start and manage their own agribusiness enterprise;
- Use marketing and economics knowledge to market raw materials/inputs, agricultural products, and food products for agri-food value chains;
- Develop problem solving, decision-making and communication skills;
- Develop employee management and decision-making skills;
- Manage financial records and client transactions;
- Be equipped with the adequate skills and competencies for careers in Mauritius and abroad.
This degree offers many employment options such as agribusiness manager, food warehouse manager, food category manager, entrepreneur, stockbroker, sales representative/marketing executives for input suppliers or for Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) Companies, financial analyst, management experts in agriculture-related industries, teaching and research opportunities, agricultural consultants, agribanking, hi-tech farming, agricultural engineering sectors, various positions in government, private and NGOs, and opportunities for postgraduate studies in the same field.