Bachelor of Science in Biology Trevecca Nazarene University
The Bachelor of Science in biology provides students with a broad understanding of the discipline, from the molecular basis of life to the integration of life processes regulating the function of whole organisms. By emphasizing critical thinking, scientific communication, and laboratory skills, the program equips students to succeed in scientific careers and graduate programs.
- Gain hands-on experience at our campus farm, greenhouse, and cadaver lab.
- Take advantage of our renovated facilities, state-of-the-art equipment, and robust undergraduate research programs.
- Learn from faculty who possess high degrees in their fields, who have relevant and valuable real-world experience, and who make an effort to know you personally.
What to Expect
As a student in Trevecca’s Bachelor of Science in biology program, you’ll gain a solid foundation of understanding in core classes like biology, ecology, genetics, chemistry, statistical analysis, and more. Plus, you’ll be able to take advantage of some incredible on-campus learning opportunities outside the classroom. Trevecca owns and operates a fully functional farm and greenhouse, allowing for unique research opportunities. You’ll also have access to our cadaver lab through a partnership with Trevecca’s PA program. And you’ll have local, national, and international off-campus opportunities to gain experience through activities like summer internships, medical mission trips, community outreach, and more.
Whether you are looking to enter the medical field or want to learn more about how science impacts the modern world, Trevecca's Bachelor of Science in biology degree will prepare you for a bright future. Our graduate acceptance rate in medical and PA schools is consistently well above the national average.
Why Choose Trevecca?
Founded in 1901 and a leader in online education for more than two decades, Trevecca helps students discover and pursue an individual calling by providing innovative instruction; cultivating a supportive, Christ-centered community; and establishing relationships that open doors.
Recognized nationally and locally for academic quality, Trevecca has earned a reputation for providing the world with servant leaders, problem solvers, and difference makers. Trevecca’s holistic approach to education encompasses intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and spiritual growth.
As a Christian university, we offer programs that explore the ways faith intersects with your field of study. This means you can gain your biology degree in a supportive Christian community with small classroom sizes and engaged faculty members who care about you and your goals.
General Education — 42 or 43 hours
Exceptions: The Laboratory Science and Mathematics components of the General Education curriculum are fulfilled by required major and support courses. Issues in Science is waived in lieu of upper-division biology courses.
Major — 38 hours
- BIO 1510 General Biology I 4
- BIO 1520 General Biology II 4
- BIO 2820 Microbiology 4
- BIO 3040 Ecology 4
- BIO 3335/PHY 3335/CHE 3335 Junior Seminar in Biology 1
- BIO 3720 Genetics 4
- BIO 3730 Molecular Biology 4
- BIO 4335/CHE 4335/PHY 4335 Senior Seminar in Biology 1
Biology Electives* 12
- *8 hours must be 3000 level or higher; BIO/CHE 3510 and BIO/CHE 3520 will not qualify if taken to satisfy Chemistry minor
Required Support Courses — 30 hours
- CHE 1040 General Chemistry I 4
- CHE 1050 General Chemistry II 4
- CHE 2010 Organic Chemistry I 4
- CHE 2020 Organic Chemistry II 4
- MAT 1510 Calculus I 4
- MAT 1350 Statistical Analysis for the Sciences 3
- SCI 2150 Introduction to Computer Technology for the Sciences 3
- PHY 2110 General Physics I 4
Chemistry Minor — 20 hours
Chemistry Courses* 20
- To complete a chemistry minor in addition to required chemistry courses — 4 hours
*16 of the 20 hours will be completed as a part of the biology major requirements (support courses)
General Electives — 7 hours
Minor Other than Chemistry — 15-20 hours
Total Credit Hours: 121-122
With a Bachelor of Science in biology, you’ll have a wide-open career path. This degree positions you well for a variety of roles in laboratories, the medical field, and secondary education. You’ll also be well prepared for postgraduate academics if you decide to continue your education.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.