Northern is recognized for high-quality student-centered education. In addition to rigorous field-specific academic programs, all students complete a liberal arts and sciences curriculum that prepares students with 21st-century critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are equally valued in advanced professional and graduate studies as well as the workforce. Both are taught by faculty scholars who personalize teaching and mentoring and are supported by a welcoming staff. Experiential learning is embedded throughout the curriculum including opportunities to complete undergraduate research, internships, and service-learning.
Northern also offers a comprehensive and highly successful athletics program, sponsoring 15 NCAA Division II intercollegiate varsity sports that compete in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (NSIC), with a supportive fan base and game-day experience that is second to none. You will also enjoy a full college experience in an environment committed to your success in fine and performing arts, student organizations, and intramurals, and by participating in a vibrant schedule of events on campus, study abroad opportunities, and engaging in the wonderful community.
Northern is located on a safe, beautiful campus in the welcoming community of Aberdeen, South Dakota. We’re very fortunate to have an excellent relationship with businesses, organizations, and individuals throughout the community and the entire region.
Points of pride
Learn why Northern is the perfect place to unleash your potential
NSU Points of Pride show you the exceptional campus, supportive community, and outstanding educational opportunities you'll find when you join our pack!
- Recognized as one of the best public baccalaureate colleges in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report for more than a decade
- Named one of the 100 Most Affordable Colleges and Universities (College Consensus)
- Home to nearly 3,500 students from across the country and around the world
- Caring faculty - most with their Ph.Ds - get to know students thanks to an 18-1 student-faculty ratio
- State-of-the-art Regional Science Education Center provides opportunities for cutting-edge undergraduate research
- Supportive community of Aberdeen is ranked as the No. 2 best small college town in the U.S. (USA Today College)
- Brand-new residence halls offer the comforts of home
- A unique partnership with S.D. School for the Blind and Visually Impaired provides an opportunity for hands-on classroom experience
- With more than 50 majors, you'll be prepared for your dream career
- More than 80 percent of students receive some form of financial aid - including the WolfPACT, the largest four-year guaranteed scholarship in South Dakota
- Outstanding student involvement, including dozens of recognized student organizations
- More than $150 million in privately funded building projects and scholarships within a decade
- No. 1 national attendance leader in men's and women's basketball for 13 consecutive years
Northern State University will provide diverse academic, civic, social, and cultural opportunities that prepare students through the liberal arts, professional education, and E-learning for their future endeavors, while also enriching the local and regional community.
Northern State University will be regionally recognized as a student-centered, diverse community dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning, creativity, and civic and global awareness.
Northern State University’s students, faculty, and staff are committed to the following values:
Building a culture of inclusion, belonging, and collegiality that respects diversity in knowledge, culture, and worldview
Pursuing rigor and excellence in education, inquiry, and engagement for the benefit of our students, state, and region
Adhering to the highest standards of honesty, fairness, and transparency with a commitment to responsible stewardship of resources