Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering
Earliest start date
MEF University Industrial Engineering B.Sc. Program is designed to cover the latest topics in Industrial Engineering. Our students are aimed to be equipped with technically superior knowledge and experience. Since the program aims to produce globally competitive graduates not only for the demand by the production and service sectors but also for starting and developing new business, students will be well informed of the related sectors and establishing new business; for this purpose, the program contains both compulsory and elective courses not only in the field of decision making, entrepreneurship, and industrial applications but also in business. In our program, new topics associated with the service sector are given more emphasis rather than the classical subjects related to the production sector. In this context, students are provided with depth in the fields of Manufacturing and Service Management, Finance, Supply Chain Management, and Decision Support Systems starting from the second year undergraduate level by means of various elective courses. Parallel to the general trend of increasing popularity, elective courses are offered in areas such as Lean Manufacturing and Service Systems, Optimization Models in Finance, Supply Chain Modeling and Data Mining.
The program has been prepared to satisfy ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) and ENAEE (European Network for Accreditation of Engineering Education) criteria.
A significant portion of the graduates of the program are expected to be employed in the sectors of financial services, retail services, logistics and transportation, health services, tourism, intellectual services (consulting, research & development, communications and information technology, education), creative industries (advertising, design, publishing, etc.) and public services (government and non-governmental organizations). Many of our graduates are expected to choose to continue their education at the graduate level.
Program Educational Objectives of Industrial Engineering
The objective of the B.Sc. in Industrial Engineering program at MEF University is to produce graduates equipped with core industrial engineering knowledge and skills, particularly in production and operations planning and design, quantitative analysis, simulation and optimization, and integrated systems design, who thus produce added value in the global marketplace while acting in an ethically and socially responsible manner and demonstrating professional and intellectual growth.
The students of the Department of Industrial Engineering of MEF University will acquire the below knowledge, abilities and behaviors by the time of their graduation.
Basic Outcomes and Faculty of Engineering Specific Outcomes
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Industrial Engineering Specific Outcomes
- Breadth in industrial engineering practice, analysis and design with 17 required courses in industrial engineering, and depth in one or more fields with 4 industrial engineering electives.
- Ability to design, develop, implement and improve integrated systems that include people, materials, information, equipment, and energy.
- In-depth knowledge of appropriate analytical, experimental and computational methods for system integration.
Course Plan and Prerequisites
Undergraduate Course List
All industrial engineering students must work as an intern in order to understand the professional work environments, application of the knowledge gained in school to practice and gain access to such environments. A total of 8-week long summer practice shall be equally partitioned; the first 4-week period is expected to be completed at the end of the sophomore (2nd) year, the second 4-week period is expected to be completed at the end of the junior (3rd) year.
How to Apply?
- Applicants need to be graduates of high school equivalent to Turkish high schools, or in the last year of such a high school. Applicants who have not yet received their high school diploma may only get a conditional acceptance.
- Prospective students may apply with an acceptable high school diploma (those in the last year of high school, with their transcript), international diploma (such as IB, Abitur etc), national high school exit/university entrance examination score, or with an international university entrance examination score (such as SAT, GCE, ACT). The full list of acceptable diplomas/examination and their minimum scores are available on the university’s website.
Applicants should complete the online application form. Applicants need to attach the following documents:
- Copy of the identity information page of their passport
- Passport style (portrait) photograph
- High school diploma (if available)
- High school transcript
- Any recognized high school exit/university entrance examination score result, if available
- Proof of English proficiency, if available
- Statement of motivation
MEF University is an English medium university. All programs apart from Law are 100% in English. The Law program is 30% in English.
Students need to demonstrate their English proficiency before beginning in academic programs. The level of English proficiency required is equivalent to TOEFL iBT 80. Only internationally or nationally recognized examinations are accepted as proof of proficiency. The recognized examinations and their equivalences are as follows:
- TOEFL iBT: 80
- P.T.E. Academic: 67, CAE: C, CPE: C
- U.D.S., K.P.D.S., Y.D.S. (Turkish governmental examinations): 65
Applicants, who do not have acceptable proof of English proficiency at the time of application or university enrollment, sit the MEF University English Language Placement and Proficiency Examination. Students who do not pass the Proficiency Examination will need to study in the MEF University English Language Preparatory Program until they meet the required level.
Applicants to the Law program who are not native Turkish speakers or graduates of Turkish medium high school are required to present proof of Turkish language proficiency (TÖMER C).
- The acceptance decisions are given to the applicants meeting the application criteria based on the relative merit of applications. Applicants are informed about their acceptance decision and a scholarship offer and asked to confirm their intention to enroll with a payment of a deposit of USD 250 on the university’s bank account. The deposit is counted towards the first semester’s tuition fee but is non-refundable in case of non-enrolment. After payment of the deposit, an official letter of acceptance is issued. Accepted students are solely responsible for their student visa applications.
Accepted students will make their university enrolment during the dates announced by the university on its website. The following documents are required for university enrollment:
- Original of high school diploma and its notarized Turkish translation if it is not issued in Turkish or English
- High School Diploma Equivalency Certificate from the Turkish Ministry of Education (or Educational Attaché of Turkish Consulate)
- Original of high school transcript
- Original scorecard of test scores (high school exit/university entrance) used to support the application, if any
- Photocopies of the applicant's passport identification information page and the page containing student visa. The student visa is compulsory for all international students. It can be obtained from a Turkish Consulate in the applicant's home country by presenting the letter of acceptance.
- Photocopy of the first seven pages of the Residence Permit (obtained from the Bureau of Foreign Residence)
- 4 passport size (4.5 x 6 cm) photos (taken in the last 6 months, clearly identifying the person)
- Receipt of tuition fee payment
- Original scorecard of recognized language proficiency exam (if available)
Applicants who fail to complete the enrolment process within the announced dates or to provide the required documents, forfeit their right to study at MEF University.