Bachelor of Science in Chemistry Graceland University
Graceland students who major in Chemistry gain access to a hands-on education that not only prepares them for graduate study, should they seek it, but also gives them problem-solving skills through rigorous coursework. The chemistry faculty maintains the highest level of academic excellence, with every professor holding a Ph.D. More importantly, students have the ability to work directly with sophisticated instrumentation that students at other universities might have to wait until graduate school to encounter.
The chemistry program has an excellent track record of preparing students for medical school, dental school, physical therapy, and many other pre-health programs. Additionally, students learn to effectively work in teams through an emphasis on a collaborative laboratory environment. Finally, Graceland’s liberal arts campus environment encourages students to attain their degree in chemistry while giving them room to pursue other passions like the arts and athletics.
- Students are immersed in experiential learning using sophisticated chemical instrumentation.
- Students design and complete a research project in collaboration with faculty mentors.
- Students are taught by faculty, in all lecture and laboratory courses, that hold PhD’s in the field.
In addition to the general education requirements, majors in Chemistry must complete the following 51 semester hours:
- CHEM1410 General Chemistry I Workshop with Lab – 4
- CHEM1420 General Chemistry II Workshop with Lab – 4
- CHEM3300 Analytical Chemistry with Lab – 4
- CHEM3410 Organic Chemistry I – 3
- CHEM3411 Organic Chemistry I Lab – 1
- CHEM3420 Organic Chemistry II – 3
- CHEM3421 Organic Chemistry II Lab – 1
- CHEM3610 Physical Chemistry I with Lab – 4
- CHEM3620 Physical Chemistry II with Lab – 4
- BIOL/CHEM4310 Biochemistry with Lab – 4
- CHEM4330 Instrumental Analysis with Lab – 4
- BIOL/CHEM4111 Capstone Research I – 1
- BIOL/CHEM4120 Capstone Research II – 1-2
- BIOL/CHEM4130 Capstone Research III – 1-2
In addition to the Chemistry course requirements, the following courses are also required for majors in Chemistry:
- BIOL2100 Cell Biology and Genetics with Lab – 4
- MATH1510 Calculus I – 4
- MATH1520 Calculus II – 4
- PHYS1410 Elements of Physics I with Lab – 4
- PHYS1420 Elements of Physics II with Lab – 4
A chemistry major from Graceland University can help to prepare you for a career as a:
- Chemist or Material Scientist
- Physician or Surgeon
- Chemical Engineer
- Environmental Scientist
- High School Teacher
- and many other exciting fields.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.