Mechanical Engineering B.Sc. Program at MEF University synthesizes math, science, engineering science, and engineering design and provides electives in several general areas, including thermal-sciences, micro/nano-mechanical design, and manufacturing, robotics and automation, renewable energy systems. Courses in humanities and social sciences, and management prepare students for varied roles as responsible and thoughtful leaders.
Through various courses, students begin the practice of design in their sophomore year and integrate it throughout their programs which culminate in a team-oriented capstone design project in the senior year. To enable students to integrate theory with practice and to introduce them to work environment, summer practices are given great importance and prepared in close cooperation with host companies in the related industry.
The program has been prepared to satisfy ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) and ENAEE (European Network for Accreditation of Engineering Education) criteria and is designed to prepare students for the lifelong practice of mechanical engineering and for immediate entry to positions in industry or further studies in graduate schools.
Since Mechanical Engineering is a diverse and flexible engineering discipline, graduates can work in a number of traditional fields including design of machinery, controls, vibrations and acoustics, power generation, renewable energy, energy conservation, fluid flow and heat transfer applications, and air-conditioning as well as mechatronics, biomedical, composites, and nanotechnology. A significant portion of the MEF University Mechanical Engineering B.Sc. Program graduates are expected to work in machinery and manufacturing such as the production of durable consumer goods, automotive, and energy fields. Graduates will also be demanded by robotics, nano/micro applications, and biology-based engineering business areas which require the basic and unifying character of the mechanical engineering. In addition, some of the graduates can choose to continue on to graduate study.
Program Educational Objectives
Mechanical Engineering Department identified the following list of educational objectives for the undergraduate program, which describes our mission for what our students will be achieving in their careers five years after their graduation:
- Graduates will apply their mechanical engineering knowledge and skills in the practice of traditional and emerging areas of engineering in industry or government organizations contributing to the design, manufacture, implementation, and management of engineering systems, or they will conduct interdisciplinary research via graduate study.
- Graduates will engage in life-long learning taking advantage of professional development opportunities in their discipline.
- Graduates will show leadership with their professional and ethical responsibility, communication and organizational skills.
1. A skill to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
2. A skill to design and conduct experiments, in addition to analyze and interpret data.
3. A skill to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs.
4. A skill to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
5. A skill to describe, formulate and solve engineering problems.
6. An understanding of professional and ethical obligation.
7. A skill to communicate effectively.
8. The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context.
9. Recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
10. Knowledge of contemporary issues.
11. A skill to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
Course Plan and Prerequisites
Undergraduate Course List
Some Departmental Elective Courses
All mechanical engineering students must work as an intern in order to understand the professional work environments, application of the knowledge gained in school to practice and gain access to such environments. A total of 8-week long summer practice shall be equally partitioned; the first 4-week period is expected to be completed at the end of the sophomore (2nd) year, the second 4-week period is expected to be completed at the end of the junior (3rd) year.
How to Apply?
- Applicants need to be graduates of high school equivalent to Turkish high schools, or in the last year of such a high school. Applicants who have not yet received their high school diploma may only get a conditional acceptance.
- Prospective students may apply with an acceptable high school diploma (those in the last year of high school, with their transcript), international diploma (such as IB, Abitur etc), national high school exit/university entrance examination score, or with an international university entrance examination score (such as SAT, GCE, ACT). The full list of acceptable diplomas/examination and their minimum scores are available on the university’s website.
Applicants should complete the online application form. Applicants need to attach the following documents:
- Copy of the identity information page of their passport
- Passport style (portrait) photograph
- High school diploma (if available)
- High school transcript
- Any recognized high school exit/university entrance examination score result, if available
- Proof of English proficiency, if available
- Statement of motivation
MEF University is an English medium university. All programs apart from Law are 100% in English. The Law program is 30% in English.
Students need to demonstrate their English proficiency before beginning in academic programs. The level of English proficiency required is equivalent to TOEFL iBT 80. Only internationally or nationally recognized examinations are accepted as proof of proficiency. The recognized examinations and their equivalences are as follows:
- TOEFL iBT: 80
- P.T.E. Academic: 67, CAE: C, CPE: C
- U.D.S., K.P.D.S., Y.D.S. (Turkish governmental examinations): 65
Applicants, who do not have acceptable proof of English proficiency at the time of application or university enrollment, sit the MEF University English Language Placement and Proficiency Examination. Students who do not pass the Proficiency Examination will need to study in the MEF University English Language Preparatory Program until they meet the required level.
Applicants to the Law program who are not native Turkish speakers or graduates of Turkish medium high school are required to present proof of Turkish language proficiency (TÖMER C).
- The acceptance decisions are given to the applicants meeting the application criteria based on the relative merit of applications. Applicants are informed about their acceptance decision and a scholarship offer and asked to confirm their intention to enroll with a payment of a deposit of USD 250 on the university’s bank account. The deposit is counted towards the first semester’s tuition fee but is non-refundable in case of non-enrolment. After payment of the deposit, an official letter of acceptance is issued. Accepted students are solely responsible for their student visa applications.
Accepted students will make their university enrolment during the dates announced by the university on its website. The following documents are required for university enrollment:
- Original of high school diploma and its notarized Turkish translation if it is not issued in Turkish or English
- High School Diploma Equivalency Certificate from the Turkish Ministry of Education (or Educational Attaché of Turkish Consulate)
- Original of high school transcript
- Original scorecard of test scores (high school exit/university entrance) used to support the application, if any
- Photocopies of the applicant's passport identification information page and the page containing student visa. The student visa is compulsory for all international students. It can be obtained from a Turkish Consulate in the applicant's home country by presenting the letter of acceptance.
- Photocopy of the first seven pages of the Residence Permit (obtained from the Bureau of Foreign Residence)
- 4 passport size (4.5 x 6 cm) photos (taken in the last 6 months, clearly identifying the person)
- Receipt of tuition fee payment
- Original scorecard of recognized language proficiency exam (if available)
Applicants who fail to complete the enrolment process within the announced dates or to provide the required documents, forfeit their right to study at MEF University.
About the School
MEF University, which admitted its first students in the academic year 2014-2015, aims to become a university that keeps entrepreneurship, innovative thinking and creativity in the foreground and has ... Read More